Friday, December 5, 2008

Breaking boards is cool....

With the new quarter starting at RIT, my teaching schedule has changed to Mon/Wed, which means that I'm heading out to Victor for karate classes on the opposing evenings. I was pleasantly surprised on Tuesday to find out that we were going to be doing "board breaking" for the photos that were being taken. (This is something that I'd been asking Sensei Ingallina about for, oh, about 3 years or so.... ;-)

Since my lady had plans for Thursday evening, this meant that I was going to have the kids with me, but Sensei Kalish said, "Bring 'em along: we'll be doing the breaking first, and they should love it!"

They did.

We broke boards supported by concrete blocks (not too bad), then braced at their top & bottom by Sensei Oertel (a little harder), and then "free breaks", which is where someone just pinches the top, and you have to go really fast to get the break in before they go flying. As the senior student in the group, I was up first for each round: the first two went great, but I didn't move quite fast enough on my first try at the free break. 20 push-ups -- on my knuckles, on two boards -- ensued, with Ray giggling as he took pictures with my camera phone. With that as an incentive, it's no wonder that I was able to find the speed on my second try. (*laugh*)

The photographer said that she'll put the proofs up on the web and let us know when they're there. Sensei suggested that we save the boards and put 'em up on a wall someplace (possibly after getting them signed), which I just might do.

(*pause*)

Yeah, it's a little silly. But I'm very proud that I'm able to do this.

No comments: